Writing, news and stories about the craft of writing for an audience
Looking for something older?
Check out our complete archive here, or search by category below.
- Jan 25, 2019 What happened to all the great keyword stuffers? The truth about long tail headlines, content marketing apps and anyone who uses Drake to sell shoes
- Jan 16, 2019 Why writing SEO-friendly websites doesn’t necessarily suck: Finding the sweet spot between good storytelling and good onsite search relevance
- audio storytelling
- blog writing
- case study
- content creation
- Apr 30, 2019 Dear Storyline, will the 50% Rule actually help me write better articles?
- Nov 21, 2018 Don't read this blog post: I have no wisdom to offer you this week
- Sep 19, 2018 Hearing voices? You’re not alone: The tricky, but unavoidable job of choosing the right online voice
- May 24, 2017 The easiest way to write engaging content? Believe in what you're writing.
- May 10, 2017 Are you a content curmudgeon?
- Jun 27, 2017 Subscribed for life: When newsletters go bad
- flawed english
- Oct 18, 2017 Dear editor, are you there?
- social media
- storyline creatives
- Jul 25, 2018 These 5 story hooks will help you write intros readers won't be able to resist
- Jun 27, 2018 Be formulaic: The basic story structure that Hollywood movies, literary novels and the best web content all have in common
- May 30, 2018 Do you want your clients to relate to your stories? Explain how they work.
- Jun 7, 2017 Wanted: Used mannequin that resembles dead neighbor, (or Why truth is never stranger than fiction)
- Oct 6, 2016 I was John Denver for a night and murdered people: 3 ways to grab an audience with your web content
- Sep 27, 2016 Why your About page matters
- Jul 4, 2016 Storytelling at the Xarkis Festival
- video storytelling
- visual design
- Jun 27, 2019 Martin Grasser wants to rid the Internet of words. Maybe it's not a bad idea.
- Jun 13, 2019 Want your web copy to look as good as it sounds? Use one of these 3 body fonts.
- Sep 26, 2018 Talking type: Why web writers find it so difficult to talk about typography and what we can do to learn how
- website design
- Apr 5, 2019 Don’t let your website writing gig crumble before you lay down a single word: Propose a content plan
- Mar 22, 2019 Focus on customer service, hold back on the cheese: How to avoid the pitfalls of writing for a luxury jewelry company
- Jan 30, 2019 Dear Storyline, what is a user journey and can I charge clients for this service when I'm writing websites?
- Dec 12, 2018 Oxford Dictionaries' word of the year runner-up: Frenzied leap into the abyss of our collective hopes
- Nov 28, 2018 Dear Storyline, is there a template for writing websites, and if so, can you please share?
- Oct 24, 2018 Is the client ever right? No, but so what?
- Jun 6, 2018 Websites in the wild: 5 things to consider when writing website narratives
- Feb 15, 2017 The Do's & Don'ts of Web Content Writing Part 2
- Feb 8, 2017 The Dos & Don'ts of Web Content Writing Part 1
website writing & design
- Jun 1, 2018 Website Writing & Design Summer Special
- Mar 21, 2017 Read more, write better
- Feb 22, 2017 Papers at a price: Academic ghostwriters
- Nov 28, 2016 Don’t have a CV in English? Now’s the time to get one.
- Oct 14, 2016 Who do you put on a pedal stool?
- writing advice
- writing rules